What is the design of the application?
The design of applications is the design of the functional and the development of the interface of the mobile application. First, let’s talk about how many types of applications there are.
Native mobile applications are those that fully integrate with the operating system and are called “native” for that reason. Such applications are designed and developed from scratch and use all the features of the operating system. They are written in a language approved by the developers of operating systems. This type of application is suitable for complex products that do not have any functional limitations.
Hybrid applications are applications that are created using “generators”, or frameworks. Such applications are cross-platform. Their functionality is quite close to native ones, but they have a number of drawbacks: they are not always secure, they are limited by the visual components of the framework, not all functions of the operating system are used.
What is specific about interface design of mobile applications?
- There are 2 most common operating systems, iOS and Android, and each of them has its own features and design principles. These principles should be taken into account, otherwise the application may not be rejected by the official application stores of Google and Apple.
- When designing mobile applications, you need to take into account the recommendations and design guides of a operating system chosen, so that the application fits well into the experience of use and as intuitive as the operating system itself. In addition, the best rules and design principles are described in the guides, which can save from mistakes.
- When designing a mobile application, you need to consider the different resolutions of devices that users will use. Application should be as usable on the tablets, as on smartphones.
- When designing a mobile application, you should always keep in mind the context of use. Perhaps, it will be used by one hand in a crowded subway car and it should be convenient.
billion dollars – the projected annual gross revenue of the mobile applications industry in 2020
What is the process of designing applications at evergreen?
COLLECTION OF REQUIREMENTS AND ANALYTICS
A few comments on the application design process
- First things first, the application strategy is to be worked out – goals, tasks, functional requirements etc.
- Then the structure and logic of the application is studied. Optimal experience of using and the scenario of achieving the goal by the user are thought out.
- Next step is to draw mockups and build them in an interactive prototype. If an application should be developed on a framework (for example, ionic framework), then the design takes into account the capabilities of this technology, so that during the development we’ll need to do as few custom components as possible.
- Mobile applications should be tested as early as possible on real devices, because it is not always possible to tell by the design layouts that it is convenient. To create an interactive prototype, we use Invision or Adobe XD.
- After the application logic is developed and approved, we proceed to the visual part and turn the mockup into a full-fledged design.
- Once the visual part is developed, it is transferred to the development team in the form of a clickable prototype, design source file and requirements specification.